Proud to Protest
Our rights to protest are under attack.
The Australian Services Union has been leading calls for the right to peacefully protest.
The former NSW Liberal Government introduced unfair anti-protest laws that have remained under the Labor Government.
The Roads and Crimes Legislation Amendment Bill 2022, imposes fines of up to $22,000 and/or up to two years in jail for standing up and speaking out.
These laws seek to silence intimidate and threaten all of us from taking a stand against injustice and from taking a stand for a fairer society.
Without protest we would not have the 8-hour day, Medicare, the right to vote, marriage equality or action on climate change.
This week we have written to NSW Premier Chris Minns and called for the unfair laws to be repealed.
Join ASU Branch Secretary Angus McFarland at 5.30pm on Friday 1 December outside NSW Parliament House as we call for these unfair laws to be scrapped.
Events and more information
Protect The Right To Protest Rally
Time & date: 5:30pm, Friday 1 December
Location: NSW Parliament House, Macquarie Street
ASU Letter to NSW Premier Chris Minns
Read the letter here
We must scrap the unfair anti-protest laws
Share on Instagram here
NSW CCL Open Letter
We joined with the NSW Council of Civil Liberties, Amnesty International, Australian Centre for International Justice, Public Interest Advocacy Centre, Community Legal Centres Australia, Australian Lawyers for Human Rights, Australian Democracy Network and other trade unions to call for the NSW Government to uphold that right.
View the letter here
- Angus McFarland addressed the NSW Labor Conference on the right to protest in 2022. View here.
- Right to Protest NSW Council Civil Liberties open letter. View here.
- Human Rights Law Centre: Declaration of Our Right To Protest. View here.
- Amnesty International: More than 100 people charged after kayaking protesters block coal port ahead of COP28. View here.
- Environmental Defenders’ Office: Rise of draconian anti-protest laws in Australia is highlighted by UN Special Rapporteur. View here.